You read about the recent Homo naledi discoveries at the Rising Star cave system, and now you can go see them for yourself.
The exhibition, which opened on 25 May 2017, tracks the story of the Rising Star cave expedition and the discoveries made in it, most notably the Homo naledi remains. New to the exhibition will be the recently announced discoveries made in the Lesedi chamber of the cave system, including the skeleton named “Neo”, and information about the scientists’ ongoing research. The Maropeng Visitor Centre is open from 9am to 5pm every day.
The latest round of excavations led to the discovery of two adults and an infant. Visitors will be treated to videos of the excavation team at work, as well as the tools used to retrieve these fossils.
Tickets to the general exhibition will grant you access to the Almost Human exhibition and cost:
- R120 for adults
- R65 for pensioners (on presentation of a valid ID)
- R75 for students (on presentation of a valid student card)
- R65 per pupil for school groups
- R65 for children aged four to 14 years old)
- Free entrance for children under four