Farm-based, classically trained chef Adrienne Southey melds Middle Eastern and Eastern Karoo cooking.
Chef Adrienne’s travels to the Middle East, North Africa and India have seen her fall in love with all the flavours of these regions. Take your tastebuds on a trot around the globe at her kitchen on Hillston Farm in the Karoo where she caters for guests and large groups. But if you can’t make it there anytime soon, bring Adrienne’s cooking into your kitchen with this shakshuka recipe.
- 4 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced
- slices back bacon, chopped roughly
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 6 eggs
- Place sweet potato in an oven roasting dish. Dot with butter and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Scatter thyme and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and roast for 30 minutes at 180°C. Uncover and roast for a further hour or until just golden.
- Fry onion in the remainder of the olive oil until translucent. Add bacon and fry till just golden.
- Add sweet potato and cream. Heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make 6 slight indentations among sweet potato cubes and crack an egg in each. Cook for 3 minutes. Place in oven for a further 3 minutes or until they’re done to your liking. Garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.
Chef Adrienne Southey runs her own restaurant on Hillston Farm in the heart of the Karoo. Read her Country Chef interview with Julienne du Toit here.
+27 (0) 49 842 1627; +27 (0) 82 322 4403; [email protected]
Photography Chris Marais
Recipes supplied and approved by chefs.