Growing up on a wine farm just outside Paarl, Johan Engelbrecht remembers watching, intrigued by his mom Ilse as she prepared food for weddings and functions. What was once a young boy’s dream, is now a reality as Engelbrecht has joined Cascade Country Manor as the new Head Chef where he will lead his own culinary team. Try his apple strudel recipe…
- 125g flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 70g water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 apples
- 40g sugar
- 60g finely grounded rusk crumbs
- 2 pinches of cinnamon
- 25g almond flakes
- 25g raisins
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 50g melted butter
- Powder sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Sift flour in a bowl and beat together with salt, water and the oil. Form a ball with the dough mixture, wrap with cling film and prove for 2 hours.
- Peel the apple and cut into small pieces. Combine with the remaining ingredients.
- Put the strudel dough on a floured surface and roll out thinly Then place it on a kitchen towel and pull it even
thinner. Then brush the dough with melted butter. Place the filling onto the lower third of the dough, fold
in the sides and roll tightly by using the towel. Place the dough onto the baking tray and brush the top of the strudel with melted butter.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes and brush 2-3 times with melted butter while baking
- Sprinkle with powder sugar before serving.