Scarborough chef Phil Mansergh walks to work and forages for ingredients along the shoreline. Try his Asian-style Seafood Soup.
- ½ cup julienne carrots
- ½ cup julienne red pepper
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 50g fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 stalk lemon grass root, finely sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced thinly on diagonal
- sliced fresh chilli, optional
- 1ℓ fish stock
- 60ml tamarind juice or 30ml lemon juice
- 100ml coconut milk
- 12 peeled, de-veined prawns
- 12 fresh or frozen mussels
- 200g cubed line fish such as tuna or kingklip
- fish sauce (to taste)
- sweet basil or coriander to garnish
- Using a medium-size pot heat the coconut oil and add the sliced vegetables. Sauté for a few minutes then put lid on and keep on heat until vegetables are translucent.
- Add the fish stock, tamarind juice and coconut milk, bring to a rolling boil and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Add seafood and bring back to simmering point. Remove from heat. Add fish sauce to taste and fresh herbs.
- Serve immediately in warm china bowls.
Wine suggestion: Reyneke Organic Sauvignon Blanc