Enjoy a healthy serving of celebrity chef Sarah Graham’s delicious Aubergine Parmigiana.
This Aubergine Parmigiana is a real crowd-pleaser that’ll satisfy vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- small handful fresh basil, chopped (plus extra to garnish)
- 3 medium aubergines
- 200g mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 150g Parmesan, grated
- handful breadcrumbs, lightly toasted (optional)
- Add a little olive oil to a pot and, at a medium heat, fry the garlic and dried herbs for 1-2 minutes until fragrant; add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, sugar and chopped fresh basil and leave to simmer for 20-30 minutes until reduced by about one third.
- Meanwhile, slice the aubergines lengthways into 0.75cm slices
- Heat half the olive oil in a good quality, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and cook the aubergines in batches until golden, adding more oil as you need to. Set aside and drain on kitchen paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Add a thin layer of the tomato sauce to a medium-sized baking dish; follow with a layer of aubergines and then slices of mozzarella and a scattering of Parmesan. Repeat and then finish off with a final layer of tomato sauce and a scattering of Parmesan and bread crumbs (if using).
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle with a little torn basil before serving as soon as possible. Bring to the table a fresh green side salad and don’t forget the Drostdy-Hof Natural Sweet White!
Wine pairing: Drostdy-Hof Natural Sweet White Wine