Keep an eye out, Cape Winelands, there’s some serious fine-dining competition in the upper half of the countryside. And leading the challenge in the North West area of Hartbeespoort is Leon Nel of Silver Orange. Try his avocado and halloumi wraps recipe.
- 4 sheets round rice paper
- 1 pkt Asian greens
- 8 fingers halloumi cheese
- 2 carrots cut into thin strips
- ½ cucumber seeded and sliced into long strips
- 1 avocado sliced
- fresh coriander
- sweet chilli
- sushi mayonnaise
- fresh salmon/tuna optional
- soya sauce and plum ginger sauce
- Soak rice paper in water for few seconds and remove.
- On the bottom half of each sheet, 2cm from the edge, place greens with halloumi, carrot, cucumber and avocado on top. Add a few leaves of fresh coriander and squeeze over a line each of sweet chilli and mayonnaise. Fold over the rice paper and roll firmly to make thick cigar-like shape. Leave to rest for a minute or two, trim the edges and cut in half.
- Serve with light soy sauce or plum ginger sauce.
Wine suggestion: Graham Beck Gorgeous