Serve this delicious baked mushroom leek frittata as a starter or as a light main meal. It makes a great dish to tuck into as a family.
- 2 tsp. Canola/olive oil
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 250g sliced mushrooms (a mix of white button & big brown)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup (120g) shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Spray a 22cm pie dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat canola/olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add leeks and sauté three minutes, until softened. Add mushrooms and sauté five to six minutes until softened and most of the water has evaporated. Add 1 tbsp. water to deglaze the pan. Stir in garlic, thyme, ¼ tsp salt, and pepper, and cook one minute until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, evaporated skim milk, remaining ¼ tsp salt, and pepper, to taste.
- Sprinkle ¾ cup of cheese in bottom of pie dish and top with mushroom and leek mixture. Pour egg mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake frittata for 30 minutes until top is puffed and golden brown.
Selenium is one mighty mineral we ought to know more about. More importantly, we need to know that, although we don’t normally find it in fruits and vegetables, we do find selenium in mushrooms In fact, mushrooms are among the richest sources of selenium in the produce aisle and provide 8-22 mcg per serving. Seriously good news for vegetarians whose sources of selenium are limited.
Selenium is essential to hundreds of cellular functions throughout the body. It fights free radical damage, boosts immune function, activates thyroid hormones and even helps to preserve and regenerate other antioxidant nutrients like vitamin C and E. A variety of studies are also indicating that selenium could be a good ally in the fight against prostate cancer. Serve up and enjoy!