This month’s Country Chef is Jaco Grové of Creation Tasting Room and Restaurant. His Biltong Gratinated Potatoes Recipe makes for a delicious side for any meal.
- 1.5ℓ cream
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150g blue cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2kg large potatoes, skin on
- 220g biltong dust
- Salt to taste
- In a pot, place cream, garlic, 100g grated blue cheese and thyme, and bring to the boil. Reduce by ¼ and set aside.
- Slice potatoes thinly.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Start with a little bit of cream, sprinkle with biltong dust, followed by a layer of sliced potatoes, and salt. Repeat till all the potato and cream have been used.
- Sprinkle the last bit of cheese and biltong dust over the top for the gratin.
- Bake at 160℃ for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Set aside and allow to cool. Remove the potato bake from the tray and cut into portions.
Wine suggestion: Creation Reserve Merlot