He’s the man behind our National Braai Day initiative. Now try Jan Braai‘s easy BBC (Braai Berry Crumble) recipe…
- For the filling
- 4 cups berries (about 350 g, frozen or fresh)
- 2 tots sugar
- 1 tot vanilla essence
- For the crumble
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- Place the berries in your potjie. It’s fine if they are still frozen; just use your wooden spoon and break the frozen chunks of berries up into smaller pieces. Now sprinkle the sugar and vanilla essence over the berries.
- To make the crumble, mix the sugar, butter (cold butter works best), flour and oats together in a bowl. Use the fingertips of your recently washed hands to ‘crumble’ the butter and make sure that everything is well blended.
- Top the berries with the crumble and close the lid of the potjie. Bake the berry crumble by placing coals underneath the potjie and on top of the potjie lid. Let it bake like this for about 40 minutes until the top is golden brown and the fruit soft and juicy. You may want to check up on it after 30 minutes, you never know. Perhaps your coals were quite aggressive and it’s already done.
- Serve with ice cream or fresh cream or a combination of the two.
Recipe by Jan Braai – The Democratic Republic of Braai
Photograph by Matthys van Lill