During the process of gathering recipes for this book, I met a man by the name of Wayne who, it was clear to me, is a passionate and very able braaier. Naturally, I asked him to send me a few of his best recipes. This is one of them.
- 4 bananas
- 2 tots butter
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tots brandy
- vanilla ice cream (to serve)
- Peel the bananas and then slice each one into three or four pieces. Wayne suggests cutting them diagonally as this will make presentation a bit more appealing but the way you cut the bananas will obviously make no difference to the taste of the meal.
- Melt the butter and syrup in your fireproof pan on the fire and fry the banana pieces in that, until everything starts to caramelise and brown.
- Now add the brandy, which should spontaneously catch alight from the flames of the fire, in reaction to the alcohol in the brandy.
- As soon as the flames die down, serve with vanilla ice cream.
The brandy is entirely optional. You could also use rum with equal success! Or you could serve the dish without adding alcohol. Simply proceed to the next step as soon as everything in the pan starts to caramelise and brown.
This and many other recipes can be found in Jan Braai’s latest cookbook Shisanyama: Braai Recipes from South Africa (Book Storm).
Sign up to our newsletter and you could win yourself a copy as well as a pack of Franca Gourmet Briquettes.