Give your dinner guests a taste of the KwaZulu-Natal countryside with this chicken croquettes recipe.
Chef Jonathan Davies of Manor House suggests you serve this as a snack or with a Caesar salad.
- 500g free-range roast chicken, shredded
- 200g butter
- 150g flour
- 500ml milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- sprig of thyme
- 1 cup Klein River Overberg or any strong cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup Klein River Grana or Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Panko breadcrumbs
- oil for deep-frying
- Equipment needed: Piping bag with 1cm nozzle and cling wrap
- In a saucepan melt the butter, then add the flour and cook for at least 3 minutes.
- In a separate pot warm the milk, add the Dijon mustard and thyme, and allow to infuse. Then slowly add the warm milk to the butter and flour roux and cook for 5 minutes over a low heat, stirring continuously.
- Add the cheese and continue to stir until the cheese is melted.
- Mix in the chicken and allow the mixture to cool.
- Spoon into a piping bag with a 1cm nozzle, and pipe a long log onto some cling wrap. Roll up tightly and allow to cool before cutting it into your desired lengths.
- Dip in egg, then breadcrumbs and fry.
Chef Jonathan Davies joined the team at Manor House in March 2018 and has been at the helm of their restaurant ever since. He takes inspiration from the produce of the Overberg and serves up mouthwatering meals. Feel like a treat? Then try his Moerkoffie Stout Mousse Recipe.
The restaurant is open for breakfast lunch and dinner on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and for breakfast and lunch on Sundays.
The restaurant can be found on the Stanford Valley Guest Farm on the R326
+27 (0) 72 198 0862; [email protected]
Recipes supplied and approved by chef.