Dennis Strydom has joined the elite community of Franschhoek chefs, but now that he’s at Haute Cabrière he promises to move away from fine dining to real country fare. Try his Toasted Honeyed Cinnamon and Pistachio Brioche, Burnt Apple Cream, Roast Apple…
- For the Cinnamon and Pistachio Brioche:
- 250g cake flour
- 250g OO flour (pasta flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbs castor sugar
- 5g ground cinnamon
- 50g toasted chopped pistachios
- 2 tsp yeast
- 150g soft butter
- 4 eggs beaten with 100ml water
- 2 egg yolks to glaze
- 2 tbs water
- For the Burnt Apple Cream:
- 150g Granny Smith apples peeled, cubed, griddled until black on the outside
- 150ml cream
- 2 tbs honey and extra for the toast
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 cup cream
- For the Roasted Apple:
- 3 slices ½cm-thick Granny Smith apple slices per person
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Put flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon, pistachios and yeast into a large bowl. Combine well.
- Melt butter but don’t heat it up, you should be able to keep your finger in it. Whisk egg mixture into the butter. Make a well in the flour and add the egg and butter mixture, bring it together with a wooden spoon.Turn out onto a floured surface, knead well for about 5 minutes, place in a greased bowl and leave in warm place to rise for 1 hour or until double in size. Tip dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knock back. Shape the bread into 4 equal-size logs about 5cm in diameter and leave to prove for 30 minutes.
- Combine egg yolks and 2 tbs water, brush bread with mixture before putting it in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the burnt apple cream, place the griddled apples, 150ml cream, 2 tbs honey and butter in a pot and bring to a boil, then simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes. Let it cool down and blitz into a smooth sauce. Whip the cup of cream until stiff. Fold the apple mixture into the cream and keep in fridge.
- To roast the apple slices, preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the apple slices on a baking tray that has been sprayed with Spray and Cook. Lightly dust with sugar and place the butter on top. Roast until cooked but firm. Keep to the side until needed.
- Slice and toast the brioche until golden brown, spread the honey over each slice to taste. Stack the toast and roasted apple slices (3 per person) adding the burnt apple cream in between the layers.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Wine suggestion: Pierre Jourdan Brut