Dennis Strydom has joined the elite community of Franschhoek chefs, but now that he’s at Haute Cabrière he promises to move away from fine dining to real country fare. Try his French Onion Soup with Gratinated Chèvre Crostini…
- 80g butter
- 1.5kg red onions, thinly sliced
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 5 cloves garlic finely grated
- 450ml red wine
- 1.5 tbs tomato paste
- 2 litres good beef stock
- 6 slices bread (ciabatta or French baguette), toasted
- 10-20g chèvre per person to spread over each piece of toast
- Soften the onions, thyme and garlic in the butter on low heat for about 45 minutes. Add the wine and cook out.
Stir through the tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes, do not let it burn. Add the beef stock and taste for seasoning. Simmer on low heat to infuse the flavours and thicken slightly.
- Dish soup into ovenproof bowls.Place a piece of toast spread with chevre on top of soup and place under a grill.
- Serve piping hot.
Wine suggestion: 2012 Pierre Jourdan Tranquille