Winter is upon us and we all know that one of many exciting essentials the season brings is the uniting of South Africans in the rich heritage of comfort foods and flavours from which to draw.
Now is the perfect time to try All Gold’s Lamb Curry recipe.
This curry embodies the outgoing personality of our colourful country, and turns up the heat on any chilly night.
- 100 g butter
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 knob ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cans (410g) ALL GOLD Chopped Tomatoes
- 15 ml (3 tsps) salt
- 15 ml (3 tsps) turmeric
- 5 ml (1 tsp) chilli powder
- 15 ml (3 tsp) ground cumin
- 15 ml (3 tsp) ground coriander
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) curry paste
- 65 ml (¼ cup) ALL GOLD Peach Jam
- 1 kg stewing lamb
- 500 ml (2 cups) water
- 2 green chillies, seeded and chopped
- 6 curry leaves
- 45ml (3 tablespoons) chopped fresh coriander
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) garam masala
- Roti or rice to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Melt butter in a heavy base frying pan and sauté onions until lightly browned and caramelised. (Don’t rush this step, it's important.) Remove caramelised onions and set aside.
- Combine garlic, ginger, tomatoes, salt and all the spices in a food processor, blend together to form a coarse paste.
- Brown the lamb in the same saucepan in which the onions were cooked, add a bit of oil if necessary. Remove and place in a casserole dish.
- Add the spicy tomato paste, caramelised onions, water, chillies and curry leaves. Cover and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven. Check seasoning, stir in fresh coriander and garam masala.
- Serve over rice or with roti, with sambals, sliced banana and coconut.