Café Roux is the dreamchild of husband and wife team Paul and Bernadette le Roux and Paul’s sister Lindi. Situated in the original Weltevreden farmhouse on the Noordhoek Farm Village estate, it has built up an enviable reputation for serving fantastic food and great wines as well as being a place for ‘families and animals’. Try their Baked Lemon Cheesecake…
- 200g packet tennis biscuits
- 60ml butter, melted
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 1kg smooth cottage cheese
- 500ml cream
- Preheat oven to 170ºC.
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor. Add the butter and blend until just mixed through. Scrape the mixture into a greased, 22cm loose-bottomed tin and spread out. Work the crumbs up the sides of the tin and flatten with the back of a spoon. Put in the freezer for 10–15 minutes to firm while you prepare the filling.
- Mix the egg yolks, vanilla essence, cornflour, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar until well combined, then gently stir in the cottage cheese.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold into the cheese mixture.
- Beat the cream until stiff and fold into the cheese mixture. Pour the mixture into the crust and bake until firm.