It’s International Cake Day and obviously there’s only one way to celebrate it properly.
We’ve been rummaging through our box of treasured recipes and we’ve come up with a decadent but airy Victoria Sponge with Jam filling.
Not just any jam filling either; we suggest you a generous helping of All Gold Skweezi Apricot & Peach Jam for a moreish mouthful.
- 250 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 240 g (2 cups) Golden Cloud self-raising flour
- 200 g (1 cup) castor sugar
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1 lemon
- ½ can (410 g) KOO Peach Slices, drained and chopped
- 125 ml (½ cup) ALL GOLD Skweezi Apricot & Peach Jam
- 125 ml (½ cup) fresh cream
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) castor sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Grease and line 2 x 20 cm sandwich cake tins.
- Beat butter and sugar together with an electric beater or wooden spoon, until very light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift in flour, finely grate over the lemon zest, fold it into the mixture (halve the lemon and save it for later).
- Mix together until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins.
- Use a spatula to gently smooth the surface of the cakes and bake in oven for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Insert a skewer in the middle of the cake; if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool in tins for five minutes.
- Remove from tins and place on cooling racks.
- Allow cakes to cool completely before filling.
For the Filling:
- Gently warm the ALL GOLD Skweezi Apricot & Peach Jam in a pan over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and stir in sliced peaches.
- Whip cream until it forms soft peaks, gently fold in castor sugar, squeeze in the juice from zested lemon.
To assemble the cake:
- Place one cake upside down onto a serving plate.
- Spread with jam mixture, allowing to cool before topping with sweetened cream.
- Place the second cake on top and dust it with icing sugar.