Farm-based, classically trained chef Adrienne Southey melds Middle Eastern and Eastern Karoo cooking.
Chef Adrienne combines her love of Middle Eastern flavours with Karoo farm cooking to create this lamb tagine recipe.
- 1kg lamb neck slices
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- large pinch dried chilli flakes
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground ginger
- 20ml (4 tbsp) ground cumin
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
- 10ml (2 tsp) paprika
- pinch crushed saffron threads
- 2 x 480g cans of tomatoes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) honey
- 60g roasted almonds, crushed
- salt and pepper
- coriander to garnish
- Combine the onions, garlic, oil, chilli flakes, ginger, cumin, paprika, saffron and plenty of black pepper. Stir and coat the meat with the spice mix. Cover and leave to marinate in a cool place for at least two hours, or in the refrigerator overnight.
- Brown the lamb in a heated pan in batches, remove from pan, and place the marinade in the frying pan and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in the lamb.
- Add the tomatoes, orange rind, cinnamon and half of the coriander, mix well, cover and cook in a preheated oven at 160℃ for 3 hours.
- Add the remaining coriander, and scatter almonds over the tagine. Garnish with extra coriander if you wish.
Wine suggestion: Altydgedacht Gewurztraminer
Chef Adrienne Southey runs her own restaurant on Hillston Farm in the heart of the Karoo. Read her Country Chef interview with Julienne du Toit here.
+27 (0) 49 842 1627; +27 (0) 82 322 4403; [email protected]
Photography Chris Marais
Recipes supplied and approved by chefs.