Start your half cup habit with a 4-week challenge to eat half a cup of pulses three times per week. Pulses are packed with protein, fibre and essential nutrients to help you maintain a healthy weight and improve your overall wellbeing.
Here is a delicious recipe by Jamie Oliver for a chickpea salad. This is a good start to your 4-week challenge. Chickpeas are very high in protein, fibre, folate and zinc and are a versatile pulse that can be eaten in so many ways. Make a big batch of Pouyoukas chickpeas and freeze. They are more economical and taste much nicer than tinned chickpeas.
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 handfuls ripe red cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lemon
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Pouyoukas chickpeas prepared as per pack instructions
- 1 handful fresh mint, chopped
- 1 handful fresh green basil, chopped
- 100g feta cheese
- Mix the chopped onion, chillies and tomatoes.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon and 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season to taste.
- Heat the chickpeas in a pan, then add 90 per cent of them to the bowl.
- Blend the remaining chickpeas and add these as well – they will give a nice creamy consistency. Allow to marinate for a while and serve at room temperature.
- Just as you're ready to serve, give the salad a final dress with the fresh mint and basil.
- Place on a nice serving dish and crumble over the feta cheese.