A great braai stays with you, as does the experience of braaiing… Try Jean Nel’s recipe for chilli caramel chicken thighs…
This recipe came together once when we were camping in the Helderberg Mountains and we had forgotten all the ingredients for a regular chicken dish. So we had to make a plan. With just a tin of apricot jam, some vinegar and a few red chillies left, Plan B kicked in. – Jean Nel
- 100g apricot jam
- 125ml white vinegar
- 1 or 2 red chillies, chopped
- 8 medium-sized chicken thighs
- 45ml olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the jam, vinegar and chillies in a small saucepan and heat until the jam dissolves. This can be done at the very last stage while the chicken thighs are on the braai.
- Rub the oil and seasoning into the chicken pieces. Braai the chicken for 8–10 minutes per side. Check for doneness by cutting the thickest part of the thighs.
- Take the braaied chicken thighs off the heat and add to the glaze in the pan to coat. Place them back on the braai, turning frequently so the glaze can penetrate into the meat. This should not take more than 2 minutes.
More Braai the Beloved Country by Jean Nel (Jacana Media)