You might think eating in McGregor to be a somewhat parochial affair. Far from it. Here, just behind the dusty main street of this Klein Karoo town, is a tiny gem of a restaurant where you can sup on salmon flown in fresh from Norway, succulent bush-fed lamb from Victoria West and the latest ocean catches hauled out of Gordon’s Bay.
Chefs Kurt and André Middleton-Le Roux of Karoux, share their Chilli & Lime Monkfish recipe with us…
- 30g cornflour
- ½tsp salt
- ¼tsp white pepper
- 2 monkfish fillets (about 150g each)
- 5tsp vegetable or peanut oil
- ¼ cup lemon or lime juice
- ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
- rind of one lemon
- Sift cornflour, salt and pepper onto a plate. Toss monkfish in cornflour mix. Heat oil in a pan and
cook monkfish on all sides until cooked through and evenly browned – about three minutes on each side. Put monkfish in serving dish and place in warm oven.
- Add the lemon or lime juice to the hot pan, then add chilli sauce and half the lemon rind. Simmer for 2 – 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Remove monkfish from oven and spoon sauce over the fish.
- Serve with coriander rice or Asian baby leaf salad.