It’s not hard to understand what makes food writer Sarah Graham so popular. Her recipes are straight-forward but produce spectacular results, like this simple but super-tasty chorizo and lemon chicken with cauliflower mash that she has partnered with Drostdy-Hof’s Claret Select.
This easy-drinking red blend offers a rich bouquet of complex berry flavours that suit the heartiness of the chicken and chorizo.
- For the chicken
- 8 chicken thighs, with skin
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 medium-sized red onions, cut roughly into sixths
- 200g chorizo, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, halved
- 200ml Drostdy-Hof 2015 Sauvignon Blanc
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, for serving
- For the cauliflower mash
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Heat an oven-proof pot on the stove, add the olive oil and butter and brown the chicken for approximately 3 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pot, fry for approximately 3 minutes while stirring often. Then add the chorizo and lemon halves and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove and put the chicken back in the pot with the onion and chorizo. Pour in the Drostdy-Hof Sauvignon Blanc, put the lid on the pot and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the cauliflower. Boil the cauliflower in a separate pot until tender. Remove from the pot and drain well. Add the olive oil and butter and purée using a stick blender until smooth. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- To serve, dish up a generous helping of cauliflower mash, top with the chicken and chorizo and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Finally, enjoy a glass of the Claret Select with this hearty meal.