Farm-based, classically trained chef Adrienne Southey melds Middle Eastern and Eastern Karoo cooking.
Chef Adrienne’s travels to the Middle East, North Africa and India have seen her fall in love with the flavours of these regions. Take your tastebuds on a trot around the globe at her kitchen on Hillston Farm in the Karoo where she caters for guests and large groups. But if you can’t make it there anytime soon, bring Adrienne’s cooking into your kitchen with this courgette fritters recipe.
- 325g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 180g butter
- 310mℓ buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 courgettes, grated
- ½ small onion, grated or chopped finely
- Toppings: cream cheese, courgette ribbons, feta and black onion seeds
- Combine self-raising flour, castor sugar and salt. Rub in butter.
- Make a well in the centre and add buttermilk and egg. Stir till just combined.
- Add courgettes and onion and stir till just combined. Do not over mix.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a heated pan smeared with oil. Once just browned, turn once.
- Top with cream cheese, courgette ribbons, feta and black onion seeds.
Wine Suggestion: Diemersdal Sauvignon Blanc
Chef Adrienne Southey runs her own restaurant on Hillston Farm in the heart of the Karoo. Read her Country Chef interview with Julienne du Toit here.
+27 (0) 49 842 1627; +27 (0) 82 322 4403; [email protected]
Photography Chris Marais
Recipes supplied and approved by chefs.