Why buy when you can make your own carrot cake. No carrot cake is complete without a generous helping of cream cheese icing…
- 6 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 XL eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup Sunfoil Pure Sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 x 250 g containers chilled cream cheese packages
- 1/2 cup Wooden Spoon white margarine, softened
- 2 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.
- Preheat oven to 175⁰C. Grease and flour two 22 cm cake pans.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the sugar, apple sauce, Sunfoil Pure Sunflower oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts.
- Pour evenly into the prepared pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. When completely cooled, half each layer, ice with cream cheese icing.
- For the cream cheese icing: In a medium bowl, cream together the cold cream cheeses and butter until creamy. Mix in the vanilla and then gradually stir in the icing sugar. If the mixture is not cold, put in fridge to chill before icing the cake.