You might think eating in McGregor to be a somewhat parochial affair. Far from it. Here, just behind the dusty main street of this Klein Karoo town, is a tiny gem of a restaurant where you can sup on salmon flown in fresh from Norway, succulent bush-fed lamb from Victoria West and the latest ocean catches hauled out of Gordon’s Bay.
Chefs Kurt and André Middleton-Le Roux of Karoux, share their Duck and Coriander Spring Rolls recipe with us…
- 1 medium duck
- 2 cups coarse salt
- 5 carrots
- 5 courgettes
- olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 thumb ginger, finely grated
- 4tbsp soy sauce
- handful of fresh coriander
- 10 sheets spring roll pastry
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Remove gizzards, livers and trim excess fat from the duck. Wash and pat the duck dry with a clean tea towel.
- Place in roasting pan, breast side up, cover with coarse salt and sprinkle with pepper. Cover duck with aluminium foil and roast for about 2 1/2 hours or until crispy (this can be done the day before).
- In the meantime, shred the carrots and courgettes into long ribbons with a potato peeler. Stirfry the vegetables in olive oil with garlic and ginger for about two minutes. The vegetables can still be firm as they will be re-heated before serving. Add soy sauce and stirfry for one more minute. Take off heat and cool.
- Remove the roasted duck from oven, drain excess fat and remove coarse salt. Allow to cool. When the duck is cool enough to handle, peel off the crispy skin and chop roughly. Shred the whole duck. Add stirfried vegetables, shredded duck meat, chopped fresh coriander and chopped skin together in a mixing bowl and mix well. You can add salt to taste at this point, but be careful as the skin as well as the soy sauce is quite salty already.
- Divide mixture into ten equal portions. Peel spring roll pastry sheets off one at a time and seal the edges with egg whites. Keep the rest of the pastry covered with a damp tea towel. Place the filling towards one corner of each sheet and roll tightly, tucking in the edges.
- Deep fry in a pot or pan of moderately heated oil until golden brown. Serve with home-made sweet chilli sauce.
- The spring rolls can be made smaller by half or even quarter the pastry. Great for cocktail parties. To freeze, dust in corn flour, cover and freeze. Spring rolls can be deep fried from frozen.