There’s no need to always serve meat at a braai. Try this grilled baby marrows recipe with tomato fondue from chef Bertus Basson.
- 4 medium-size marrows, sliced down the middle
- 3 tbs black olive tapenade
- seeds of 2 tomatoes
- 20g fresh basil chiffonade
- Parmesan shavings
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tin tomatoes, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Dress the marrows with olive oil and salt.
- Grill on a moderate fire until the marrows are caramelised and tender.
- For the tomato fondue, caramelise the onions in 20ml olive oil. Add the tomatoes and garlic, reduce to a thick paste.
- Spread a layer of the fondue on a serving dish, followed by dollops of the tapenade and top with the marrows. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of Parmesan shavings, tomato seeds and basil chiffonade.
Wine suggestion Hidden Valley Chardonnay 2012