Why not elevate the usual lunchtime braai with this delicious but simple recipe from Chef Johan van Schalkwyk? Serve grilled prawns on a mango and avocado salad with a sweet chilli and ginger dressing, perfectly paired with Drostdy-Hof Extra Light.
This ideal lunchtime wine complements light summer salads, accentuating the crisp and refreshing tastes that we have come to associate with our local summer festivities.
- 800g prawns, deveined
- 20g butter
- 20ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 200g mixed lettuce leaves (rocket, watercress, oak-leaf lettuce)
- 50g spring onion, sliced
- 50g fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 100ml sweet chilli sauce
- 50ml lemon juice
- 30ml ginger juice (grate fresh ginger and squeeze to get juice)
- 30ml olive oil
- 30ml rice-wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and olive oil, then fry the garlic until transparent, but not brown.
- Season the liquid with salt and pepper and set aside to use later as a basting liquid.
- Grill the prawns over medium warm coals for 3 minutes on each side, basting often with the garlic butter, then set aside when done.
- To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Place all the salad ingredients in a bowl, then pour the dressing over and toss to coat all the leaves.
- Arrange the prawns on top of the salad and serve with chilled Drostdy-Hof Extra Light