A medley of colour.
Roushanna Gray of Veld & Sea shares her carrot cake recipe with us. Don’t forget to top it with edible flowers.
To read our interview with Roushanna, click here.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of sugar
- 6 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups of oil
- 3 cups of flour
- 6 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups of grated carrots
- 1 cup of mixed raisins
- Lemon-butter Cream Icing
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 tbsp double-thick cream
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- juice of half a lemon
- Beat the eggs and sugar until creamy and light in colour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the fruit and mix well.
- Carefully fold the fruit into the cake mixture and pour into two greased cake tins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. While the cake is cooling, make the icing.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, add the butter and beat with an electric mixer on a low speed until all the icing sugar is well blended into the butter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix on medium and combine until smooth. If your icing is too runny, add more icing sugar or warm water if too thick.
- Divide icing into three. Ice the top of the first cake, adding a layer of chopped strawberries and cover with more icing. Sandwich the second cake on top and dust the sides with icing sugar. Ice the top and decorate with edible flowers.
Beverage suggestion: Organic rooibos tea
Styling Sven Alberding
Photography Warren Heath