This pumpkin-filled ravioli is a crowd-pleaser from Mo & Rose in Robertson.
This ravioli filled with pumpkin recipe is served with biltong shavings and pomegranate reduction.
- 250g flour
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Biltong or parmesan shavings to garnish
- ½ pumpkin
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- pinch of cinnamon
- Pomegranate Reduction
- 200ml pomegranate juice
- handful fresh pomegranate pips
- 2 tbsp honey
- pinch of salt
- juice of 1 lemon (optional)
- Place the flour on a cold stainless steel or marble table top. Make a hole in the middle of the flour and pour in the olive oil, egg yolks and eggs. Mix the flour from outside to inside and knead until the dough is malleable, adding a bit of water if required. Allow to rest overnight in clingwrap.
- Bake the pumpkin at 180°C until soft. Fry the onions in butter until golden brown. Blend the onion and pumpkin, add pepper, salt and cinnamon to taste. Allow to cool.
- To make the ravioli, dust the counter and dough with flour. Roll out the dough to 1mm thickness. Brush the sheet of pasta with a mix of egg yolk and water. Drop tablespoonfuls of cooled filling about 2.5cm apart on half the sheet of pasta. Fold the other half over the filling and gently press out air pockets around each mound of filling, and seal. Use a crimper or sharp knife to cut each pillow into squares. Ensure the crimped edges are well sealed before cooking.
- Prepare the pomegranate reduction before you cook the ravioli. Heat the honey, salt and pomegranate juice. Reduce to half. Remove from the heat and add the pomegranate pips and lemon juice if needed.
- Cook the ravioli in salted boiling water for 13-15 minutes. Drain and place the ravioli onto a clean kitchen towel to absorb water. Serve immediately.
- To serve, place the rocket in the centre of the plate and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Arrange the ravioli in a circle around the rocket and then pour the pomegranate reduction onto the ravioli and sprinkle with biltong or parmesan shavings.
Robertson Wine Valley, between Robertson and Ashton on the R60
+27 (0) 23 626 4134; +27 (0) 71 512 6197; [email protected]
Open Monday to Sunday for breakfast and dinner. Open Friday to Sunday for lunch.
Recipe supplied and approved by chef
Photography and styling Anthony Johnson