Farm-based, classically trained chef Adrienne Southey melds Middle Eastern and Eastern Karoo cooking.
Chef Adrienne’s travels to the Middle East, North Africa and India has seen her fall in love with all of the flavours of these regions. Take your tastebuds on a trot around the globe at her kitchen on Hillston Farm in the Karoo where she caters for guests and large functions. But if you can’t make it there anytime soon, bring Adrienne’s cooking into your kitchen with this red lentil and carrot soup recipe.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until soft, then add spices and sauté until they just begin to release their magical aroma.
- Add carrots and sauté another minute. Add stock, tomatoes, lentils, salt and pepper. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes or until lentils are soft. Check seasoning.
- You can serve the soup chunky as is or pureéd. Serve with fresh coriander, cream and a sprinkle of paprika or roasted carrots.
Wine Suggestion: Springfield Wild Yeast Chardonnay
Chef Adrienne Southey runs her own restaurant on Hillston Farm in the heart of the Karoo. Read her Country Chef interview with Julienne du Toit here.
+27 (0) 49 842 1627; +27 (0) 82 322 4403; [email protected]
Photography Chris Marais
Recipes supplied and approved by chefs.