Farm-based, classically trained chef Adrienne Southey melds Middle Eastern and Eastern Karoo cooking.
Chef Adrienne’s travels to the Middle East, North Africa and India have seen her fall in love with all the flavours of these regions. Take your tastebuds on a trot around the globe at her kitchen on Hillston Farm in the Karoo where she cooks for guests and caters for large groups. But if you can’t make it there anytime soon, bring Adrienne’s cooking into your kitchen with this roast pear chocolate pavlova recipe.
- 4-5 egg whites (weighing 150g)
- 300g castor sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 pears cut in half lengthways
- 2 tbsp honey
- 5 star anise
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup cream
- 2mℓ vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- For the meringue, preheat oven to 110°C and line a large baking sheet with a non-stick baking sheet or tinfoil sprayed with Spray & Cook.
- Whisk egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the castor sugar, whisking continuously until all the sugar is added.
- Tip cocoa and cinnamon onto meringue and fold through gently with a metal spoon to create a marbled effect. Spoon onto prepared baking sheet in a rough disc with an indentation in the middle. Bake for 1½-1¾ hours or until dry and crisp. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet.
- To make the pears, preheat oven to 200°C. Arrange the pears cut side up in a roasting dish. Drizzle with honey and scatter spices over pears. Roast for approximately 20 minutes or until just browned and slightly softened, but not completely soft that they lose their shape. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- For the cream, whisk all the cream ingredients till soft peaks form. Spoon cream onto cooled meringue and top with cooled pears.
Wine Suggestion Simonsig Pinot Noir Rosé MCC or Franschhoek Cellar Baker Station Shiraz – this wine is incredible with any cinnamon flavoured dessert. Try it with milk tart.
Chef Adrienne Southey runs her own restaurant on Hillston Farm in the heart of the Karoo. Read her Country Chef interview with Julienne du Toit here.
+27 (0) 49 842 1627; +27 (0) 82 322 4403; [email protected]
Photography Chris Marais
Recipes supplied and approved by chefs.