At The Werf restaurant on Boschendal, chef Christiaan Campbell loves to cook farm-to-table food with a surprise element. Here’s his Short Rib Beef recipe.
- 1.2kg short rib with the bone on
- salt and pepper
- bay leaves
- black and yellow mustard
- bacon ‘jam’ (optional)
- pickled eugenia berries (optional)
- roasted seasonal vegetables
- Basting Sauce:
- 250ml (1 cup) home-made
- tomato sauce
- 25ml Worcestershire sauce
- 125ml (half cup) chutney
- 10ml lemon juice
- 25g white sugar or honey
- 1 clove and 1 bay leaf
- dash of red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 100°C.
- Debone the short rib along the bone. Flatten the meat into a rectangle. Season the inside and place the end of the cleaned bone on the inside of the meat. Roll the meat around the bone and tie it with cotton string. Wrap the meat very well in plastic wrap and the bone with foil. Use a straw to suck out any air to create a vacuum pack. Transfer to oven and leave to steam for 8 hours.
- While the beef bakes, make the basting sauce by combining all ingredients and mixing well.
- Once the rib is cooked, unwrap, baste with the sauce, increase oven heat to 180°C. Leave meat baking for about 30 minutes, basting regularly with sauce, until it caramelises to a rich, sticky consistency. Serve with black and yellow mustard, bacon jam and pickled eugenia berries and oven roasted seasonal vegetables.
Wine suggestion: Boschendal 1685 Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon
You may also want to try Chef Christiaan’s Smoked Salmon Gnocchi with Asparagus and Slow-cooked Egg recipe.