This Smoked Mackerel, Chorizo, Pickled Fennel & Baby Potato Salad recipe by Chef Nic van Wyk of Bistro 13 at Welmoed Wine Estate in Stellenbosch is beautifully paired with Welmoed Pinot Grigio.
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets, broken in chunks
- 200g cooking chorizo, sliced into rounds
- 8 baby potatoes, cooked and sliced into 1 cm rounds
- 2 spring onions
- 50g crème fraiche
- 50g per serving of washed lettuce leaves (rocket or butter lettuce)
- Juice of one lemon
- Oil for frying
- Pickled fennel
- 2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced and rinced
- 200g white sugar
- 250ml white wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 3 peppercorns
- To prepare the pickled fennel, combine all the ingredients and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. When luke warm place the cut fennel in the pickling liquid for a minimum of 6 hours before use.
- Fry the chorizo on a small amount of oil until crispy. Remove from the pan and fry the baby potatoes until warm and browned on the edges.
- Combine a small amount of the pickling liquid with the crème fraiche until you have a runny dressing.
- Dress the leaves and place in the centre of the plate. Scatter the salad ingredients over and around the leaves. Garnish with the left over dressing and pickled fennel.
Wine suggestion: Welmoed Pinot Grigio is a fresh, easy-drinking wine with the perfect balance of melon and lime aromas on the nose that follow through to a crisp and light finish on the palate.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Nic van Wyk of Bistro 13 at Welmoed Wine Estate.