Pair this Smoked Venison Carpaccio with Sweet & Sour Poached Pear, Green Beans and Toasted Hazelnuts recipe with a Welmoed Pinor Noir.
- 4 smoked venison carpaccio (approxinately 60g each)
- 24 green beans, cooked and refreshed, halved
- 12 hazelnuts, roasted and roughly crushed
- 20ml sherry vinegar
- 15ml olive oil
- A handful of micro greens for garnish
- Poached pears
- 2 pears cored and peeled, cut in half
- ½ cup of port
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 star aniseed pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- To prepare the poached pears, combine all the ingredients barring the pears and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and poach the pears with a piece of baking paper covered over until soft. Remove the pears and reduce the liquid until it resembles a syrup. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Remove the star anise, whisk in the sherry vinegar and olive oil for the sweet and sour dressing.
- To plate, place the carpaccio on a plate and scatter some of the cut pears, hazelnuts and beans over the carpaccio.
- Dress with the sweet and sour dressing. Garnish with the micro greens.
Wine suggestion: Welmoed Pinot Noir exudes flavours of red fruit and spice, with a velvet finish on the palate. Hints of oak aromas complement this well-balanced wine that shows great potential to age beautifully.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Nic van Wyk of Bistro 13 at Welmoed Wine Estate in Stellenbosch.