Whether you’re aiming at the Cederberg and Namibia or heading south to Cape Town, pull off the N7 at Piekenierskloof at Hebron where Steve Oldroyd rules the pass…
Try Steve’s Sticky Date and Pecan Cake Recipe with Christmas Pudding Ice Cream, Rum-Butterscotch and Almond Praline.
This sauce can be made in advance, refrigerated and reheated when needed.
- 250g salted butter
- 250ml cream
- 150g brown sugar
- 150g dark Demerara sugar
- 1 tbs molasses
- 150ml spiced rum
- Bring all the ingredients to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 -15 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Decant the sauce into 2 plastic bottles with nozzles.
Christmas Pudding Ice Cream
- 2l tub top quality vanilla ice cream
- 750g ready-made Christmas pudding
- 1 cup pecans, walnuts, macadamia or pistachios, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries, cherries, apricots or peaches, chopped
- 2 tots brandy or rum (optional)
- Defrost the ice cream until it’s soft but not liquid.
- In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the ice cream and all other ingredients until light and fluffy-ish.
- Return the ice cream mixture to a larger container and re-freeze.
- 1 cup sugar
- a splash of water
- 1 cup almonds, roasted and chopped
- Boil the sugar and water on high heat until a caramel begins to form. Watch like a hawk so that the caramel doesn’t burn and become bitter. Add the nuts and shake the pan to combine well.
- Tip the caramel onto a non-stick baking mat and leave to cool completely. Break it into chunks and blitz in a food processor until you have fine crumbs, like wet sand.
- Plate the date and pecan cakes with a scoop or two of Christmas pudding ice cream. Drizzle the rum-butterscotch sauce over and sprinkle with almond praline.
Wine suggestion: Cederberg Blanc de Blanc Méthode Cap Classique
Tea suggestion: Carmien Orange Choc Rooibos