A great braai stays with you, as does the experience of braaiing… Try Jean Nel’s recipe for pork chops with strawberry and balsamic vinegar sauce…
Pork does not like heat. Sear chops over the coals then move it a cooler side of the fire. – Jean Nel
- 4 pork chops (about 240g each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 250g strawberries
- 60ml balsamic vinegar
- 30ml castor sugar
- 60ml chicken or vegetable stock
- Basil leaves to garnish
- Halve the strawberries and add them to the vinegar and sugar.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-to-low heat and add the stock. Bring it to the boil. Add the strawberry-vinegar mixture to the stock and reduce the heat to low. Heat the strawberries through. Set the sauce aside.
- Season the pork chops with salt and black pepper. Braai the pork chops on an oiled grid, medium fire for 6–7 minutes per side.
- Place the chops on a platter and pour the strawberry sauce over. Garnish with torn basil.
More Braai the Beloved Country by Jean Nel (Jacana Media)