Looking for an easy and healthy side? Brookdale‘s superfood quinoa salad with tahini garlic dressing will be a great addition to the dinner table.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups butternut or sweet potato, cubed
- 1½ cup cauliflower florets
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- herb salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup raw quinoa, cooked (makes 1½ cups)
- 6 spinach or kale leaves, shredded
- ½ baby red cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup Danish feta, cubed
- handful fresh mint leaves
- 4 tbsp tahini (see recipe below)
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp boiled water
- 1 garlic clove, finely crushed
- 2 tbsp tamari (organic soy sauce)
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, toasted
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Drizzle the butternut and cauliflower with olive oil, spices and seasoning.
- Place into a roasting tray and roast for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then toss with the rest of the salad ingredients.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients.
- To serve, drizzle the roasted butternut and cauliflower with the dressing and sprinkle with the toasted seeds.
Make your own tahini by liquidising 1½ cups sesame seeds, 4 tbsp sesame oil and 4-5 tbsp olive oil to form a smooth paste. Store in a glass jar in the fridge.
Tuck into this Ginger Turmeric Carrot Soup from Brookdale.
Brookdale Health Hydro is a KZN Midlands retreat that encourages its guests to make healthier choices without sacrificing taste. Chef Juliet Stephenson and dietician Caryn Davies are the talented duo behind Brookdale’s delicious offering.
R103, Old Main Road, Nottingham Road, KwaZulu-Natal
+27 (0) 33 266 6208; +27 (0) 82 906 0842; [email protected]
Recipe supplied and approved by chef
Photography Craig Scott