Farm-based, classically trained chef Adrienne Southey melds Middle Eastern and Eastern Karoo cooking.
Chef Adrienne’s travels to the Middle East, North Africa and India have seen her fall in love with all the flavours of these regions. Take your tastebuds on a trot around the globe at her kitchen on Hillston Farm in the Karoo where she cooks for farm guests and caters for large group events. But if you can’t make it there anytime soon, bring Adrienne’s cooking into your kitchen with this baked grapefruit recipe.
- 2 grapefruits, halved
- 125 ml (½ cup) pecan nuts
- 125 ml (½ cup) oats
- pinch of salt
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) honey
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) cinnamon
- Greek yogurt to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180℃.
- Use a paring knife to separate the grapefruit segments for easy scooping.
- Roughly chop the pecan nuts. Place the remaining ingredients in a food processor and blitz for a few seconds to combine.
- Divide the granola topping between the grapefruit halves and place on a baking sheet. Pop this into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt.
Chef Adrienne Southey runs her own restaurant on Hillston Farm in the heart of the Karoo. Read her Country Chef interview with Julienne du Toit here.
+27 (0) 49 842 1627; +27 (0) 82 322 4403; [email protected]
Photography Chris Marais
Recipes supplied and approved by chefs.