At his restaurant Foliage in Franschhoek, chef Chris Erasmus uses foraged ingredients for his original dishes. You simply must try his Wild Mushroom Turkish Ciabatta recipe.
- 100g dried wild mushrooms,
- ground into a powder
- 1kg cake flour
- 1 litre cold water
- 10g dried yeast
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 30g sugar
- 30g salt
- Preheat oven to 230°C.
- Place all the ingredients except the salt in a dough mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on high speed for 8 minutes, add the salt and mix for 1 more minute (adding the salt too soon will result in a weak structure).
- Cover with a cloth and leave to prove until the dough has doubled in size.
- Place onto a floured surface, dust well with flour and cut into 15cm x 5cm rectangles using a dough cutter.
- Place onto floured baking trays and bake for 12 minutes. Cool on an oven rack.