Serve this Windhoek Draught Black Mussel Pot with Crispy Portuguese Buns and Butter recipe as a starter…
- 3kg fresh black mussels
- 100g salted butter
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley to garnish
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 can of Windhoek Draught
- ¼ good quality local olive oil
- Crispy buttered Portuguese buns
See the chef’s tips on how to clean the mussels below...
- Melt butter together with olive oil in a large pot and sauté the red onion, spring onion and thyme. Add ½ the Windhoek Draught, sugar, chili flakes, salt and pepper for seasoning. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add your cleaned mussels to the large pot and add the other ½ of the Windhoek Draught. Put the lid on the pot and simmer until mussels are open. Discard any mussels that are not open or less than a quarter open
- Serve mussels in a big bowl/dish and pour over the simmering liquid. Crispy Portuguese buns and butter are essential to mop up all that delicious mussel/Windhoek Draught liquid.
Chef’s Tips – How to Clean Fresh Black Mussels
- Scrub the outer shell with a hard nail brush under running water.
- Then place your black mussels in a bucket of salted water, this keeps them alive for several hours. While in the salted water, the mussels expel any sand or grit.
- Place the mussels into a large colander and wash well under running water.
- Using a sharp knife scrap off any barnacles and seaweed. Very important: Any mussels that appear damaged or are broken or opened must be discarded immediately.
- Lastly remove the “beard” – pull it like you would unzip something. Sometimes the “beard” stays fast, then leave it until after you have cooked the mussels and you can easily pull it off.
Note: Black mussels can be obtained fresh or frozen from most local supermarkets and fish mongers/shops, as well as specialty deli shops.
Recipe prepared by Chef Peter Ayub – www.senseoftaste.co.za