Chef Johannes Maredi at Makweti Safari Lodge in the Waterberg, Limpopo shares his delicious Wood-smoked Stuffed Trout with Cannellini Bean Salad recipe.
- 1 trout per person, filleted, keep the skin, tail and head
- 200ml horseradish sauce
- 1 punnet button mushrooms
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil to deglaze the pan
- 2-3 sprigs each of tarragon and parsley, chopped
- olive oil
- Peppadew Aïoli
- ¾ cup drained Peppadew peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 egg yolks
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs honey
- ½ tsp salt
- Fennel and Cannellini Bean Salad
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced
- 1 can cannellini beans
- segments of 3 oranges or naartjie
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp chopped mint and dill
- salt and black pepper to taste
- For the aïoli, purée Peppadews and garlic in a food processor. Add yolks and lemon juice and purée for 20 seconds. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until fully incorporated (should have a mayonnaise-like consistency). Season with honey and salt and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- To make the salad, combine all ingredients and allow to rest in fridge for an hour.
- To make the stuffing for the trout, fry onion with garlic until soft and add sliced mushrooms. Cook until water is evaporated and add chopped herbs.
- When cool, stuff the trout. Brush both sides of the fish with a little olive oil, sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Add the desired wood shavings (about a cup) to the smoker and smoke the trout for about 15 minutes on a medium-heat fire.
Wine suggestion: Haut Espoir Chardonnay
You may also like to try his Coal-roasted Venison with Vegetable Skewers and Sweet Potato Crush, Roast Tomato Soup Sipper with Medium Cream Sherry and Red-wine Poached Pears with Parmesan Custard and Candied Pecans recipes too.