Keep an eye out, Cape Winelands, there’s some serious fine-dining competition in the upper half of the countryside. And leading the challenge in the North West area of Hartbeespoort is Leon Nel of Silver Orange. Try his Seared Scottish Salmon with Cucumber and Litchi Salsa.
- 4 pieces fresh salmon
- knob of butter or a little coconut oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- mix of stir fry vegetables
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh coriander
- 12 litchis, diced
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- ½ cucumber, peeled seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli
- squeeze lemon juice
- Heat a heavy-based pan until very hot, add salt to pan and a little butter or coconut oil. Place salmon in pan, skin side down and sear for 3 minutes a side, keeping centre rare.
- For the stir fry, heat frying pan until very hot, add sesame oil and stir-fry veg, then add all herbs and oriental sauces. Toss just a few times to ensure the stir fry is nice and crunchy. Mix together the salsa ingredients.
- To serve, place the stir fry in the centre of plate and place salmon on top. Spoon salsa around it and serve with lemon wedges and few additional litchi pieces.
Wine suggestion: Donkiesbaai Steen