It’s all about delicious, wholesome food at affordable prices at Nic van Wyk’s restaurant, Bistro 13. “Many local restaurants have moved towards fine dining but I prefer to stay true to my roots and cook in a more traditional way – simple, but flavoursome food,” says chef Nic van Wyk.
Try Nic’s Soft Nougat with Honeycomb and Poached Peaches recipe…
- 60g egg whites (whites of about two eggs)
- 100ml honey
- 200g castor sugar
- 50ml honey
- ½ tsp bicarb
- 6 peaches, halved, pips removed
- ½ vanilla pod
- 500g sugar
- 500ml water
- For the nougat, whisk the egg whites very lightly. Heat the honey to 120°C on a sugar thermometer (soft boil stage). Continue to whisk the egg whites in a food processor and add the honey in a steady stream. When all the honey is added turn the speed up and continue to whisk until the mixture is double in volume and then cool down. It will keep for at least a day if covered.
- To make the honeycomb, mix the honey and sugar together and bring to the boil (at 160°C on a sugar thermometer). Add the bicarb and whisk very quickly. Once combined, pour onto an oiled baking sheet or a nonstick sillicone pad and leave to cool.
- For the peaches, start by boiling together the sugar and water for the sugar stock. Place the peaches and vanilla pod in an oven-proof dish and cover with the sugar stock. Bake the peaches at 180°C for 45 minutes or until soft. Remove the peaches from the stock and when the liquid is cold place the peaches back in the stock.
- To serve, break the honeycomb and scatter on the plate. Do the same with dollops of nougat and the peaches.
Wine suggestion: Olive Brook Moscato White