Since she pioneered tasting menus in this country in 2004, renowned chef Margot Janse has continued to challenge the tastebuds of diners at The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Français in Franschhoek. Try her Sorghum, Buchu and Spinach Risotto with Gemsbok Loin.
- 200g sorghum grain
- 1 onion, dice
- 2 tbs butter
- 100ml cream
- 300g baby spinach leaves
- buchu powder
- 1 celeriac bulb, peeled and diced
- 4 sticks celery
- olive oil
- 800g cleaned gemsbok loin
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cook the sorghum in salted water until al dente. Rinse and keep aside. Make the spinach and onion puree by sweating the onion in 1 tbs butter for 4 minutes, season with salt. Add the cream and cook until the onions are soft. Add a pinch of buchu powder. Blanch the spinach in boiling water for 1 minute, drain and blend the spinach and onion cream until very smooth.
- Caramelise the celeriac in the butter over medium heat, add water, cook until soft, and season. Pan roast the celery sticks over high heat in the olive oil, season with salt. Once slightly charred add a splash of water and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from the pan.
- Season the gemsbok with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based non-stick pan, add the butter. Sear the meat on all sides and place in oven at 180°C for 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
Wine suggestion: Mullineux Syrah 2013