After 60 days and 7 000 kilometres on the road, it’s hard to imagine that the Ultimate Braai Master Season 4, Game On journey —which took 13 teams to some of the country’s most beautiful and remote locations— is finally over.
Billed as the most combustible season yet, 13 teams faced a range of exceptionally tough challenges from host Justin Bonello and equally rigorous judging courtesy of Executive Chef, Bertus Basson and Chef, Petrus Madutlela, neither of whom did much to pull their punches.
- 8 chicken wings, tips cut off
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 250 ml Coca-Cola
- 20 ml oyster sauce
- 20 ml chutney
- 20 ml tomato sauce
- 15 ml marmalade
- 20 ml brown sugar
- 10 ml olive oil
- 2.5 ml ground coriander
- 2.5 ml garlic powder
- 2.5 ml ground cumin
- 3 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.5 ml ground ginger
- To serve
- A large pinch of coarse sea salt
- lime wedges
- In a large bowl, mix together all the marinade ingredients, and then toss the wings inside the sauce until generously coated. If there’s time, leave to marinate for about an hour.
- Skewer each wing onto a pre-soaked skewer and set aside. Take the leftover marinade and bring to a gentle simmer over moderate coals.
- Place the skewered chicken wings inside a braai grid and braai over moderate coals for about 20 minutes, turning and basting the chicken as you go.
- Serve the chicken, sprinkled with coarse sea salt, on a wooden board with lime wedges on the side.