SuzelleDIY is a woman of many talents. From home improvements and crafts to her latest cookbook Recipes (Jacana), she shows no sign of slowing down. Give this Potato and Bacon Roses Recipe a try. We promise you’ll love it.
These crispy little potato bites look so impressive but you won’t believe how easy these are to make! And of course they are SO delicious – I mean bacon and potato, YUM.
You also might like: SuzelleDIY’s Melktert Jaffles Recipe
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- 12 rashers streaky bacon
- 1 sprig of thyme, stalk removed and chopped grated Parmesan to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC.
- Grease a 6-hole muffin tin.
- Using a mandolin slicer, thinly slice the potatoes into a large bowl.
- Mix together with olive oil, rosemary and lots of salt and pepper.
- Lay 2 rashers of streaky bacon, slightly overlapping, vertically onto a clean board.
- Lay the slices of potato, slightly overlapping, on top of the bacon rashers. Make sure that you line up the edge of the potato slices with the edge of the bacon rashers on one side so that when you roll it up, it has a flat bottom.
- Now roll it up to make a rose and place into the muffin tin. It should fit snugly but if it doesn’t then you may need to secure with a toothpick or add more potato slices.
- Gently pull out the potato slices to make it look more rose-like. Repeat with the remaining potato and bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cover the dish with tin foil and bake for another 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with thyme and Parmesan and bake for a final 10 minutes.
Tips and tricks
You can even make these without the bacon! Just be a little more careful when you roll the potato slices and secure the rose with toothpicks.
For more of Suzelle’s fun and creative recipes, pick up a copy of Recipes for R280.