Chef Mune Kimura delicious, yet subtle Asian flavours at Postcard Café like this Thai Prawn Curry.
Looking for a good Thai curry to warm you up? Try this Thai Prawn Curry recipe from chef Mune Kimura.
Looking for a great dessert to pair with your dish? Try chef Mune’s vegan chocolate pudding.
- 16 tiger prawns, peeled and deveined
- 4 portions steamed rice (sushi or jasmine)
- boiled seasonal vegetables
- fresh coriander, springs onions and lime
- wedges to garnish
- For the curry sauce
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1½ tsp garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 125g fresh tomato, chopped roughly
- 125g onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp treacle sugar
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 400ml coconut milk (1 can)
- 100ml chicken stock
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- For the sauce, fry the onion in a medium pot till lightly caramelised.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the fish sauce.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Liquidise with hand blender. Add the fish sauce.
- Season the prawns with salt and pan fry in olive oil. Set aside.
- Place the steamed rice in four serving bowls. Pour the curry sauce on the side of the rice. Place the prawns and vegetables on top of the rice. Garnish with coriander, sliced spring onions, and a lime wedge.
Chef Mune Kimura joined forces with Marie Condé to set up Postcard Café. It may have started out as a great spot to get a slice of cake and a cup of coffee, but Mune has been able to build it into a popular restaurant in the Jonkershoek Valley. Read more about how he did just that in our Country Chef interview.
+27 (0) 21 861 7703; [email protected]
Open Wednesday to Sunday from 9am to 4pm
Photography Francois Pistorius