Nicole Dupper, the executive chef at Imibala Restaurant and Deli in Somerset West, has cooked for the world’s great and famous, from Margaret Thatcher to actor Michael Caine. For Nicole food is all about sharing knowledge and tastes…
- 6 x 500g rainbow trout filleted, bones and heads set aside
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10ml butter
- 300g button mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 clove peeled and minced garlic
- 500g cleaned fresh spinach or Swiss chard
- 15ml grated Parmesan cheese
- Fish Stock
- heads and bones of trout
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 100g parsley stems
- 30ml lemon juice
- 250ml white wine
- 150g fresh mushroom stems
- 60ml butter
- 75ml cake flour
- 60ml cream
- fish stock
- To make a stock, place all the ingredients for fish stock in a medium stock pot, cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes. Skim off the top foam, strain and set aside.
- Season fillets lightly and set aside. Pour over a little of the hot stock and allow to stand for a minute, drain off the stock into a new dish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt some butter add the mushrooms and sauté until all the water has evaporated. Add minced garlic and sauté. Add the spinach and sauté until soft, but don't overcook. Set aside.
- To make the sauce melt butter in a small saucepan, add flour and stir until smooth. Add cream and stir until smooth, add in the hot stock and allow to simmer until it becomes thick. Add sautéed spinach and mushroom mix. Divide sauce into six and pour into ovenproof dishes, place the fillets on top, then a little more sauce, finish off with grated Parmesan. Bake in an oven at 180°C until the fish is cooked and the surface is golden brown. Serve with a salad.
Wine suggestion: La Motte Sauvignon Blanc