There’s nothing quite like a batch of freshly baked scones paired with some fresh cream and jam to accompany your cup of tea (or coffee) this weekend.
Here’s Country Life editor Nita Hazell’s tried and tested recipe.
You also might like: Celebrate International Cake Day in Style
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4tbsp (60g) butter
- 1tbsp (15g) castor sugar
- 1 cup (200ml) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Cut in the butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Beat the egg and buttermilk together and pour into the middle of the mixture. Stir together using a knife, mix to a soft but not sticky dough.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead lightly. Do not overwork. Shape into an oblong and cut 8-10 squares.
- Place on a greased baking tray. Brush scones with remaining buttermilk/egg mixture or milk, and bake at 220℃ for 10-15 minutes or until brown.
Looking for a team time treat? Try these Chai spiced Lamingtons from Your Family magazine.
And no scone is complete without a dollop of whipped cream and strawberry jam.
Please note that SA Country Life nor the editor claim ownership of this recipe.