For most of us, we’re only just getting back into the swing of things at work, but we’re already looking forward to the next long weekend. We took a look at upcoming public holidays and how they may be used to your advantage.
Here’s how you can take 5 days leave, and get 21 days of holiday over 5 mini breaks (and this doesn’t even include December).
1.Take 2 days leave in March and get 5 days off
The first opportunity is Wednesday 21 March 2018, which is Human Rights Day. You can either take the Monday and Tuesday before the 21st or the Thursday and Friday after it. Here’s how:
- Take Monday 19th and Tuesday 20th off to go on holiday from Saturday 17th – Wednesday 21st March
- Take Thursday 22nd and Friday 23rd off to have Wednesday 21st – Sunday 25th off
2. The Easter weekend is 4 days long
The Easter weekend runs from March 30th to April 2nd – so that’s 4 days off from work without dipping into your annual leave days.
3. Take 1 day and get 5 days off
The second opportunity presents itself in late April. April 27 is Freedom Day and it falls on a Friday. It’s followed by Worker’s Day on May 1st, which is on a Tuesday. Here’s how:
- Put in leave for Monday 30th April and you’ll have yourself a nice 5 day weekend from Friday 27th – Tuesday 1st May
4. Take 1 day and get 4 days off
On Thursday 9th August it’s Woman’s Day.
- Submit leave on Friday 10 August and you’re on holiday for Thursday 9th – Sunday 12th
5. Heritage Day gives you a 3-day long weekend
Heritage Day falls on Monday the 24th of September so that’s a long weekend without using up any of your leave.
TIP: It’s best to submit these leave forms well in advance before anyone else in the office gets the inside scoop on how to make the most of SA’s public holidays.
Not sure of where to go this year? Watch the best of our Image Club to find some inspiration.