It’s National Scone Day and to celebrate, All Gold sent us an easy recipe for some delicious scones and jam.
Elevating the scone is left to a generous dollop of cream, and your flavoursome, great for entertaining All Gold Connoisseurs Jam. Using real fruit, ripened to perfection and preserved for your pleasure, this jam range will turn you into a scone snob in an instant.
Flavours in the Connoisseurs range of jam include Royal Apricot Extra Fruit, Strawberry Extra Fruit, Seville Orange Marmalade, Melon Preserve, Green Fig Preserve. Additional flavours new to the shelves are Blueberry, Raspberry and Mixed Berries (Raspberry, strawberry and blueberries).
- 220g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 60g butter
- 1 egg, beaten and mixed with 280 ml milk
- Fresh double cream
- 1 egg beaten and mixed with 1 tbsp water or milk (this is for the glaze)
- ALL GOLD Connoisseur Strawberry Jam
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl and add the sugar and butter.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Gradually add the egg and milk mixture to make the dough.
- Gently knead the dough on a lightly-floured work surface until smooth.
- Roll out the dough to about 2 cm thick.
- Cut out circles 5 cm in diameter, with a plain or fluted cutter.
- Arrange scones on baking sheets and brush tops with the glaze mixture.
- Bake in the oven at 230 °C for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Whip the fresh double cream until stiff.
- Split the scones and spread with butter, All Gold Connoisseurs Strawberry Jam and a generous dollop of whipped cream.